Who Can Vote?

To be eligible to vote, you must meet the qualifications of electors as set out in section 17(1) of the Municipal Elections Act.

You must be:

  • A Canadian citizen.
  • At least 18 years old on, or before, Voting Day (October 24, 2022).
  • A resident of the Municipality of Clarington, the owner or tenant of land in the Municipality of Clarington, or the spouse of such an owner or tenant.
  • Not otherwise prohibited by law from voting.

Persons prohibited from voting

You are not eligible to vote if you are:

  • A person who is serving a sentence of imprisonment in a penal or correctional institution, including a sentence being served in the evening or on weekends
  • A corporation
  • A person acting as executor or trustee or in any other representative capacity, except as a voting proxy

A person who was convicted of the corrupt practice described in Subsection 90(3) of the Municipal Elections Act, 1996, if Voting Day in the current election is less than five years after Voting Day in the election in respect of which he or she was convicted.

Resident elector (you live in Clarington)
As a resident elector, you (or your spouse) may own, rent, live in shared accommodation where you do not pay rent, or live in the municipality but do not have a fixed address. Being a resident elector is the most common type of eligibility.

Non-resident elector
Non-resident electors may own or rent property in Clarington but do not live here. You can only be a resident elector in one municipality. However, you can be a non-resident elector in any other municipality (or municipalities) where you own or rent property.

Spouse of a non-resident elector
If your spouse owns or rents property in Clarington, you can vote as a spouse of a non-resident elector.

Neither you nor your spouse qualifies as a non-resident elector if you do not personally own or rent the property in Clarington. For example, if the property is owned by your business or your cottage is owned by a trust, you do not qualify as a non-resident elector.

A qualified person can only vote once, regardless of how many properties you own or rent in the Municipality of Clarington. If you live in Clarington and own or rent more than one property, you must vote for the ward where you live.

A person's residence is their permanent, primary home.

Municipality of Clarington
Municipal Clerk's Division
40 Temperance Street
Bowmanville, ON L1C 3A6
Phone: 905-697-4747
TTY: 1-844-790-1599
Send an Email

Scroll to top