Clarington's Election Sign By-Law, as amended, and the Municipal Road Occupancy By-Law 2014-022 regulate the placement, maintenance or display of election signs. Election signs may be displayed subject to the rules set out in the summary of Clarington's Sign By-law.
- Election signs cannot be placed until the candidate submits their nomination and pays the $250 sign deposit. Please fill out and submit the Sign Deposit Information Form (PDF) with your deposit.
- Election signs cannot be erected before September 3, 2022.
- All signs must be removed by October 27, 2022.
- Read more Election Sign Regulations (PDF)
Removal of signs
Election signs that have been placed in contravention of the Clarington Sign By-law may be removed by the Municipality without notice. All candidates and third party advertisers will be billed for removal of any election signs as follows (less the $250 sign deposit):
- First 25 signs:
- $10 per sign up to 25 signs
- All additional signs over the first 25 signs:
- Signs up to 0.56 square metres - $10
- Signs over 0.56 square metres to 3 square metres - $20
- Over three square metres - $30 or the cost of removal, whichever is higher
All signs not retrieved by Friday, December 23, 2022, will be destroyed, and the candidate or third party registrant will be billed as per the fees above.
Election sign by-law
As part of a regular review of the Election Sign By-law, Council passed an amending by-law to implement changes outlined in Report LGS-023-21. The consolidated Election Sign By-law incorporates the recent changes, which removed reference to the Region of Durham to reflect their decision to delegate election authority or temporary signs on regional roads to lower-tier municipalities.
If you have concerns or complaints about the placement of election signs in Clarington, or you are a candidate or third-party advertiser wanting to arrange for retrieval of signs, please contact the Municipal Law Enforcement Office at firstname.lastname@example.org or 905-623-3379 ext. 2105.