Candidate FAQs

Check back often as we continue to update these frequently asked questions for candidates.

At the time of filing their nomination, the candidate must be:

  • A Canadian citizen.
  • At least 18 years of age.
  • A resident of the Municipality of Clarington, or the owner or tenant of land in the Municipality of Clarington, or the spouse of the owner or tenant of land in the Municipality of Clarington.
  • Not legally prohibited from voting.
  • Not disqualified by any legislation from holding municipal office.

View candidate qualifications on our Running for Office of Local Government page to find out what disqualifies a person from running for office.

At the time of filing their nomination, the candidate must:

  • A Canadian citizen.
  • At least 18 years of age.
  • A resident within the area of jurisdiction of the school board.
  • Not disqualified for violations of financial requirements or violations of requirements for filing financial information.
  • Not disqualified by any Act from holding such office.
  • Not disqualified under the provisions of Section 219(4) of the Education Act.

No. Only candidates filing with the Municipality of Clarington for the office of Mayor, Regional Councillor, and Local Councillor are required to file 25 endorsements to accompany their nomination form. School board trustee candidates are not required to submit endorsement signatures.

The act requires that the person signing the endorsement must be eligible to vote in an election for an office within the municipality if a regular election was held on the day the person endorses the nomination. In addition to the endorsement, they will be required to sign a declaration that they are eligible to vote in the Municipality.

A person eligible to vote in the municipality may provide endorsements to as many candidates as they choose and may endorse candidates for any office on the municipal council. A person running for a ward councillor office may submit signatures from voters who do not live in that ward.

If you submit 25 endorsement signatures, as required, and find out later that one or multiple supporters were not eligible to vote on the day they signed the endorsement, you will not lose your nomination. The person who supplied false information by signing your endorsement could be subject to prosecution.

The Election Sign By-law considers public parks (including road allowances) part of public property and election signs are not allowed on public property. For further clarification, the definition of public parks includes any areas for recreation, leisure, sports centers or gardens and includes any areas under the authority of any level of government.

The voters' list will be available to candidates who request a copy of the voters' list on September 1, 2022, through the Candidate Portal. Candidates will receive training on how to use the Candidate Portal. The candidate cannot copy, distribute or resell (in any format) the voters' list, nor are they allowed to use it for any commercial use.

The Election Archives contains the results and candidate financial statements of previous Clarington elections.

View the Sign Information page to read the election sign rules.

A candidate who does not accept any contributions of money or incur any expenses is not required to open a bank account. However, if you are going to accept contributions or incur expenses, you must open a bank account.

Yes, if you submit your financial statements per the legislated timelines.

Phone: 905-697-4747
Visit: Municipal Clerk’s Division, 40 Temperance Street, Bowmanville

Scroll to top